...Do's and Don'ts for before and after Waxing
Waxing can sometimes be a less-than-comfortable experience, but here are some great tips that can make your waxing procedure pleasant!
- For waxing treatments, please allow at least 2 weeks or at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch of growth before your visit. The longer the growth (within reason) will mean less tweezing and a cleaner wax with less breakage. If your hair is too short, we may have to reschedule your appointment for a different day. If your hair is too long, we will trim it to the desired length for a small fee.
- Please be sure to book your waxing appointment at least 48 hours before a special event such as weddings, honeymoons, interviews or any other social engagement. This will allow a good recovery time for your skin.
- 24-48 hours prior to and after waxing please avoid touching any area that is to be waxed or has been waxed except with a mild, non-abrasive cleanser. Examples of cleansers are:
- Farmaesthetics Fine Herbal Cleanser
- Bella Lucce Asian Indulgences Sesame Rice Cleansing Oil
- GlyMedPlus Mega Purifying Cleanser
- Alaskan Glacial Mineral Bar Soap
- The day of your waxing, limit your caffeine intake as it can stimulate the nervous system which can make you more sensitive and red.
- For females, try to schedule your appointment within the first 2 weeks after you have ended your cycle as this is when you are probably retaining the least amount of fluid, and should probably be the least sensitive. We will still wax our clients if they are on their cycle as long as they wear a tampon and know they will most likely be more sensitive and can bruise(in extreme cases).
- If you are pregnant there may be more sensitivity due to hormonal changes as well as possible mild bruising.
- If you do not wax or shave your hair at all, please do not trim. If trimming is needed we will do it for you so it is at the correct length. There will be a trimming charge.
- Do not apply self tanner, moisturizer, or any abrasive body or facial scrubs before or after waxing.
- Do not go sit in the sun or go to the tanning booth for 24 hours prior to your service.
- Discontinue any product that exfoliates or dries the skin for at least 48 hours this will help prevent tears, scabbing or burning.
- Avoid getting spray tanned before any waxing procedure. Wax tends to lift the color off your skin leaving it patchy-looking.
- Some products that conflict with waxing are:
- Accutane, Differin, Retin A/Retinol, Glycolic acid/AHA’s, ProActive, Avita, Benzoyl peroxide, Salicylic acid/ BHA’s
- Retin A/Retinol – No use for 48 hours before and after waxing.
- Accutane – You must be off of Accutane for atleast 6 months prior to waxing.
- Please allow atleast 2 hours to apply any make up to waxed areas.
These are only some of the products that we are aware of that may cause problems. New ones come out every day! If you have any doubt, please contact us and we can help you. However, if you still desire to use your skin products that are not conducive to waxing, there may be some lifting due to the increased fragility of the skin. When you call for your appointment, please let us know!